Expression to designate the massive explosion of information collected, disseminated and stored since the development of digital technology.
Experts define Big Data through the 3V:
– Volume : There is a growing flow of data. The amount of information generated in one day is equal to all the information humanity produced until the 20th century.
– Variety : Data sources are very diverse (social media, mobile phones, websites, forums, etc.).
– Velocity : Frequency of data transfer to information systems is increasing.
However, these 3V are not enough to define the Big Data phenomenon. One might think that increasing the capacity of data systems is enough to adapt to Big Data.
In fact, there are many new issues that emerged with Big Data : How to collect, process and manage data in real time ? What solutions to structure data?
Our information systems should be adjusted to manage the amount of data in real time.
We can note that 2 new « V » appear to better understand Big Data explosion :
– Veracity : Meaning that it is important to ensure quality and reliability of information
– Visibility : It is important to be able to access information rapidly and easily.